Monday, May 20, 2013

Chapter Thirty Four - The One Where Jeanine Tells Them Everything

After being caught, Tris and Tobias are taken to Jeanine, the woman behind this whole revolution. She was expecting Tris to be divergent, but didn't seem to expect Tobias.

I'll kill you, but first let me tell you my diabolical plan
Jeanine goes through her entire diabolical plot so Tris and Tobias can hear it before they die. They already are well aware of the first step: get rid of Abnegation. Once they are out of the way, Jeanine plans to take control of the entire city and form a government up to her standards. With herself in power, she believes everyone will be very rich. I don't see it like that. I see a long line of people fanning her with big leaves just so they can have a drink of water. I think she is looking for some sort of totalitarian government.

Jeanine doesn't understand why a lot of Abnegation turn out to be divergent. This has been a big deal throughout the book. I believe it is because I believe selflessness encompasses a lot of different traits. I believe that to be selfless, you also have to be peaceful, at least somewhat intelligent, honest, and last but not least, you need to show bravery at times.

Jeanine makes the decision that Tris is useless to her now and decides to kill her. She will, however, keep Tobias alive in order to try to eventually understand how to control the divergent as well.  Tobias, being the bold Prince Charming he is, kisses Tris and attacks Jeanine.

Jeanine is able to fend off Tobias and injects him with a serum that makes him turn his attack toward Tris. This serum isn't quite as developed as the "sleepwalking soldier" serum, but it seems to be working so far. After being injected, Tobias seems like an entirely new person. Tris is taken away. Bye Tris! Don't worry about it. I bet you'll get out of this.

"Take her to room B13."

6 comments:

  1. Rhedt- I didn't know where to comment about this, but I am really loving your chapter titles! I think it gives a good short one sentence summary about the chapter without giving away too much! Great idea! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali! I was just trying to make my blog a little unique in a way!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I hated that part of the book. Jeanine telling them everything reminded me of when I read the Alex Rider books. He is this teenage spy working for the government, and he gets captured every time, but the evil person tells him the plan while he is captured and that's how he figures out how to stop them. That is how it happens in all eight or so books. I thought that Anthony Horowitz, the author, could've been a little more creative there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I haven't read that series, but it seems to be a very common theme in books, movies, TV, etc. It's a way to introduce the situation to the audience, but I find it as sort of a cheap cop-out. Creativity is key!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Omg. Doofenshmirtz. I saw that and died laughing, and only then did I realize how accurately the picture describes what Jeanine does. I am a little ashamed of Veronica Roth. She could have done better than that, like Olivia said. But I wanted to say that you always use the best pictures on your posts! They are funny and apply at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't always reference cartoon characters in my blog, but when I do, I prefer Disney characters (note the Pinocchio a few chapters back). And I agree with the disappointment of Jeanine revealing the whole evil plot to Tris before her death. I'm pretty sure that isn't how it actually works.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete