Friday, May 3, 2013

Chapter One - The One Where We Meet Beatrice

I feel obligated to start this off with some sort of greeting so... "Salutations everyone! How do you do?"

Abnegation: The Selfless
Alright, now that I got that out of the way, I will get cracking on this blog. As you are very well aware, I am starting to read the book Divergent by Veronica Roth. Usually when I am assigned to read a book for a class the first few chapters are mind-numbingly boring. However, I was drawn into this book almost immediately. I am very intrigued about the idea of the five factions, each with a different key value. The book is told from the point of view of Beatrice Prior; a teenager who was born into the faction Abnegation. Abnegation is based on the value of selflessness. The Abnegation always put others before themselves and are strongly against vanity and individualism.

*YAWN*

Sorry about that. Don't get me wrong, I think living a selfless life is a great way to live, but I honestly think a story told from the point of view where someone only thinks of others would be awfully boring. I just hope that some sort of twist will come up where someone is allowed to join a different faction (hint, hint).

Anyway, the story begins on the day of the aptitude test; a test which the sixteen year-olds in each faction are tested in multiple different areas and are given a result of which faction would be the best option for them based on the choices they make. The day after the test, the sixteen year-olds will attend the Choosing Ceremony where they will make the choice of which faction they will live in for the rest of their life.

"Tomorrow at the Choosing Ceremony, I will decide on a faction; I will decide the rest of my life; I will decide to stay with my family or abandon them."

Dauntless: The Brave

On the day of the aptitude test, Beatrice and her brother, Caleb, both go to school to take the test. While waiting, Beatrice studies the Dauntless members closely. Dauntless is also one of the five factions. The key value of Dauntless is bravery. The members each are covered in piercings, tattoos, and wear primarily black clothing. I kind of compare them to the stereotype of "emo" or "goth" (not here to judge). By the way that Beatrice cannot take her eyes off of the Dauntless makes me believe that they will be an important part of this book (hint, hint again).




"They should perplex me. I should wonder what courage - which is the virtue they most value - has to do with a metal ring through your nostril. Instead my eyes cling to them wherever they go."

No comments:

Post a Comment